Mobility vehicles - scooters and wheelchairs - are an invaluable aid for those with limited mobility, allowing them to maintain their independence and get around their homes and communities with ease. Customizing your vehicle can be a fantastic way to make it express your own style, while making it more comfortable and better suited to your needs.
Here are a few creative suggestions to help you get started.
- Add Storage – You don't want to be fussing with important items shifting about as you drive your vehicle. While most mobility vehicles come with a basket to carry items, you can make yours even more useful by adding another basket, either on the front or rear. This additional basket can be used to carry larger items, such as groceries, and makes your scooter even more useful. There are all sizes and shapes - even locking compartments! Cupholders, cell phone holders, cane, crutch, walker and oxygen tank holders can all be extremely useful.
- Add Comfort – If you're planning on spending long periods using your vehicle, you should be comfortable! Consider upgrading the seat to a more comfortable option. There are seating options that provide enhanced comfort and support. There are many styles of specialized cushions, backrests, headrests, and armrests that can make a long day enjoyable.
- Add Safety – Installing lights and horns can make you more visible and audible to those around you. You can find a variety of lights and horns available for mobility vehicles, or you can build your own custom setup. Wheel locks and ramps are safety accessories that bring peace of mind and ease to your day.
- Add Wheels – You can customize your mobility vehicle by replacing the existing wheels with larger, sturdier ones that handle various terrains better. There are a variety of aftermarket wheels available.
- Add Weather Protection - Being out and about when the day turns into a rainy one, or a scorching hot one, is no fun! There are canopies and rain shields available for many mobility vehicles. Just make sure to check with the manufacturer that it can be securely and safely attached.
- Add Personality – Make it YOURS! One of the most common methods of customizing your medical mobility scooter is to paint it. You can choose any color or design that you like and make your scooter as unique as you are! Decals, flags, custom license plates, mascots, and pennants, just to name a few. Elegant, fun, funky, eclectic, beachy, the sky is the limit!
No matter how you choose to customize your mobility scooter, it's sure to be uniquely yours. With the above tips, you can get started customizing your scooter in no time.